The Universe is composed of five elements air, earth, fire, water and ether. In the same way, our body is also constituted by five elements which is represented by our five fingers. We can regulate these five element with by performing hand mudras, since five fingers in our hand represent five element. The fingers representing five elements are:
- the Thumb for Fire;
- the Index finger (or Jupiter finger) for Air;
- the Middle finger ( or Saturn finger) for Ether or Space;
- the Ring finger (or Sun finger) for Earth;
- the little finger (or Mercury finger) for Water.
Above mentioned planets are also represented by these fingers. As per astrology planetary movement also control our life in some way. Earth mudra, as the name implies is effective in balancing earth element in our body. It increase the prithivi (earth) element and at the same time decrease the fire, so it is also known as Agni Shamak mudra.
How to practice Prithivi Mudra?
1) Let tip of ring finger and thumb touch each other.
2) Let these fingers put slide pressure on finger tips.
3) Rest of the fingers should be stretched straight.
4) There is no limitation of holding this mudra. It can be performed in way such as while walking or sitting or standing.
5) It is more beneficial when performed while sitting in sukha asna, vajra asna or padma asna.
How long to practice Earth or Prithivi Mudra?
In the initial stage, it should be practiced for minimum 10 min and can be gradually increased to 45 min. If you have time constraints, you can perform it in three slots of 10-15 min each
Ideal Time for performing Earth Mudra?
There is no ideal time for this mudra. This can be performed any time during the day. But it is important to keep your mind relaxed while performing Prithvi Mudra.
Read More on healing benefits of Mudras below
Specialty of Prithivi Mudra
1) Prithivi mudra increases the Prithivi (earth) element in the body but decreases the fire (agni) element within the body. So people with excess pita body type can perform this mudra to reduce the fire element.
2) The element earth is a vital component of bodily tissues skin, hair,nails, bones, cartilage, muscles,flesh and internal organs.
3) This mudra reduces all physical weakness.
4) This mudra provide strength,vitality, strength and endurance to body.
5) Practice of Prithivi vardhak mudra increases the kapha humor within the body.
6) This mudra can be used to overcome disorders caused by kapha deficiency, since practicing of prithvi mudra increases the kapha within the body. However people with kapha as dominant constitution should practice in moderation.
The Agni (fire) element is related with body-temperature and metabolism and Prithivi mudra reduces fir. It can be used to pacify overactive Agni and overcome disorders of Agni-excess like fever, inflammation, etc. Therefore prithivi mudra is a very beneficial mudra for people with a dominant Pitta constitution. They can regularly use this mudra even to avoid illness.
Below are the main benefits of Prithivi mudra
- It helps in recovering from Chronic fatigue, general debility & convalescence.Read More- Why you should include dates in your diet?
- This mudra can do wonders, in case of weight loss, Lack of stamina or endurance.
- Beneficial for Osteoporosis osteomalacia (diminished bone-density), rickets,
- Helpful in speedy recovery of Fracture.
- Degeneration of articular cartilage (Osteo-Arthritis). Read More – How to keep heart healthy naturally?
- Weak, atrophied muscles, myopathies, Paresis, paralysis, poliomyelitis
- Dry, mature,burning or cracked, Skin-rashes, urticaria.
- Brittle nails.
- Hair-loss, premature graying of hair.Read More – Stop hair fall with 15 amazing home remedies
- Burning in eyes, stomach (acidity), urine, anus, hands, feet, head.
- Aphthous ulcers in the mouth.
- Ulcers in the stomach, intestines.
- Inflammatory diseases. Read More – 24 health benefits of Tulsi (Holy Basil)
Over to you
Our body’s main constituent is earth element, so Prithivi Mudra benefits are countless. practice the mudra and share your experiences in the comments below.
Source : wellbeingmantras.com