Urdhva Mukha Svanasna is a back bending yoga pose that strengthens the arms, wrist, shoulders and spine. This Asna also stretches the back and relives lower back pain. Urdhva Mukha Svanasana relieves Asthma.
Meaning of Urdhva Mukha Svanasna
Urdhva means Upward, Mukha is Face, Svana is for Dog and Asna means pose. So here is how it got the name ‘upward facing dog pose’.
Step to perform Urdhva Mukha Svanasana
1) Lie down flat on the belly. Forehead on the floor Top of feet should face downwards and touching the ground. Arms are stretched towards the length of the body.
2) Now in step 2, bend your elbows and bring palm near the lower part of the chest.
3) Now as you inhale, press your palms firmly on the mat and lift your torso, hips and knees off the ground.
4) The entire weight of the body should be on the palms and on the top of the feet.
5) You can look straight ahead or can tilt your head slightly backwards to provide little extra stretch to neck and back muscles.
6) Ensure that wrists are in line with the shoulders and your neck is not strained.
7) Maintain normal breathing and Stay in this pose for a couple of breaths.
8) As you exhale, slowly lower your knees, hips and finally torso back on the ground.
Benefits of Urdhva Mukha Svanasana
1) This asna is a good stretch for back, hence strengthen the back and also relives the lower back ache.
( Read – Back Mudra to relieve back pain)
2) In the final posture, body weight is born by the arms and the wrist, thus strengthen the arms and wrist.
3) This asna stimulate the abdominal organs.
4) It opens up the heart, chest and lungs.( Read – Lotus Mudra for heart Purification)
5) Can be beneficial in mild depression and fatigue. (Read – Tse Mudra to relieve stress)
6) Since it stretches the lungs and chest, it can be therapeutic for asthma. (Read More- Asthama mudra to get rid of Asthma)
7) This asna also improves posture. ( Read More – Tadasna – the balancing Pose)
Contraindications & cautions
1) Avoid doing this posture in case you suffer from back injury
2) Pregnant women should also refrain from doing this asana.
Over to you
Urdhva Mukha Svanasana is extremely good for lower back ache and also for asthma. It can be included in daily practice after Cobra pose.